Monday, December 7, 2015

The Feel of Winter

Oh I know the actual start of winter is the 22 of December but it is feeling like winter now, and I love it.  Hubby is not having as much fun, but I suspect really that raking the leaves doesn't bother him that much and he does enjoy being outside in the cold and crisp!  We both love the grey days - as long as we can stay warm, and we are noticing that this year with the new roof we think we are having an easier time keeping the house warm. 
Leaves on the ground and the firewood on the porch!
I am finishing up the Christmas presents to send to the kids, so every spare minute is crafting!  I have begun a new part time job, working 2 or 3 days a week for about 5 hours a day.  It really did just fall into my lap, it is working in insurance and I know how to do it and it is kind of nice to get out in the public again for a little while, the money that I bring in will go into the emergency fund and the travel to see the grandkid fund!!

As we are getting close to Christmas I will share my new favorite candy recipe, and the story of how I found it.  On our trip to California we had stopped at this roadside attraction called the 'Barn at Avila' between Pismo and Avila along the coast.  We looked at the wares and then went into the ice cream and candy shop, I bought a 3 inch square of 'Butter Pecan Fudge' and we all had a small taste - it was wonderful and I decided I had to get a recipe for it, this recipe tastes very much like the fudge at the coast and is really easy to make.  It is modified from a "Taste of Home" recipe.

Butter Pecan Fudge
  • ½ cup butter
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup heavy whipping cream
  • Dash of salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 cup toasted pecans
  1. To toast the pecans - place in a single layer on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes or until you can smell the pecans. You can also toast the in a frying pan over medium heat.
  2. Measure out powdered sugar in to a medium bowl and set aside.
  3. Grease an 8x8 baking pan with butter and set aside.
  4. Combine butter, white sugar, brown sugar, whipping cream and salt in a medium size pot. Heat the mixture over medium heat until it begins to boil and the bubbles do not disappear when you mix them. It will only take a few minutes to come to a full boil.
  5. Set a time for 5 minutes and stir the mixture constantly while it boils.
  6. Once the 5 minutes are up, remove the pan from the heat. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir in pecans.
  7. Pour the fudge in to your prepared pan. Allow fudge to cool until room temperature before cutting, mine set up pretty fast but the recipe said the preferred time was 24 hours.
single blurry piece, it sets up firm
 This stuff is melt in your mouth delicious!!  You can diet in January!!  Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my oh my, Kathy. What a shame I have given up sugar. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of you with some sadness when I posted this!

      Delete