Sunday, January 11, 2015

Cozy Time!

It is cold outside and the holidays are past.  This is the 'deep midwinter' of song.  This is the time of year when we keep the curtains closed and the wood stove burning all the time.  This is also my favorite time of year for baking as the excuse to turn on the oven and get a little warmer is too good to pass up.  It has nothing to do whatever with our sweet tooth issues! Tonight it was a recipe that we just call Grandma's Brownies as it is a recipe from my dad's mom grandma K.

This is obviously a well used recipe card, yes?

Grandma Kiehn's Brownies

2 eggs
1 cube butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 Tbsp Cream (Coffee-mate, or non dairy creamer  works)
2 squares baking chocolate (sweetened, semi sweet, or unsweetened, they all work)
¾ cup nuts (optional)

Melt butter and chocolate squares over low, low heat, cream together the rest of the ingredients add melted butter and chocolate, fold in nuts last. Bake at 325º for 25-30 minutes in a 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan. Frosting is also an option. This recipe doubles well in a 9x13 pan.  I always double it and do 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Note: Grandma beat her brownies by hand, I use a hand mixer, the texture is a little different but they taste the same!





The butter and chocolate melt over very low heat, I usually start this going first and then get the rest going, stirring here and there.









I mix together all the other ingredients except the nuts.  If you are a fan of softer and gooier then you may want to beat by hand.








Add in the melted butter and chocolate and then by hand mix in the nuts if you want them.  I used to make them without nuts as one of the kids was allergic.  We are back to nuts.... in our brownies, not our minds...sheesh!








I spray the pan with cooking spray and test with a toothpick in the center - when it comes out clean they are done.  Sometimes we frost them, hubby likes them with ice cream and chocolate syrup, I like them plain.  They would probably store well if there were ever any beyond a day or two!


This is easy peasy sweet treat stuff, so enjoy!


That recipe card has been around for 35 years as it is one my mom put in a recipe box for a bridal shower for me way back when.  As I'm thinking about it I will suggest that it is an awesome shower gift to give the new bride all her favorite recipes as she gets ready to get married.  I still use mine and it is full of memories now, in fact after grandma K had passed away no one could find one of her recipes and there it was, my copy, in my little box!  Food for thought!  (pun intended)
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy, Kathy! Cooking in the middle of your cold winter would be a joy I imagine. I have seen on the news that it has been a very cold winter for you all.

    ReplyDelete