Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Seriously....

I have been thinking about this post for awhile, it is important to me so I didn't want to just rant and send people away.  I didn't want to be terribly partisan and send people away.  I have come to the conclusion though that there is no way to do this and not be judgmental and I don't think I am going to apologize either!

I have been researching this information online for a couple of weeks.  There is a lot of silliness on the web, a lot of hype, some outright lies and I needed the truth.  This will be short and, I hope, to the point.

We, as women all over the world, need to be, at the very least, praying for the women who are currently living under Sharia law.  A speaker sort of challenged me to look into this and I was appalled at what I did not know.  I am shocked at how bad things are in the UK and other countries in Europe already.  I am embarrassed that this is starting to happen in the US and most women are keeping quiet. 

Female Genital Mutilation, honor killings, stoning women who are raped, taking kids from the mother if the father dies, women do not own property.  The list is longer than this, these are a few of the most egregious of the issues.  Where are the feminists?  Why are we worrying about who pays for birth control when this is going on in our country and we are having a hard time prosecuting these crimes?

Here are a couple of websites that have either information or links to women who are speaking out.  Read, research, send money, or do what I did, pass on the information so that we can pray for and maybe support the women who are living under oppression - the real kind, not the "if you open the door for me you are telling me I'm weak" kind.  Thanks, this is something that is really weighing on my mind as a prayer need and I appreciate being able to share it!

Women Living Under Muslim Law

Famafrique/ Islamic women and Religious Oppression.

Alliance of Iranian Women

Anne Marie Waters (activist)


3 comments:

  1. No it is not good, Kathy. I have always wondered why the woman who is raped gets stoned. It just doesn't make sense. Thanks for the links and I will check them out later on. I really feel for these ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy, I left a long comment addressing incorrect information regarding Christianity on the link 'Famafrique/Islamic women and religious oppression'. The writer at the least makes misleading statements about Christianity, and at the worst, they are lies. Try to find 'Corinthians 14: vs 34, 35 in a Christian Bible. Does the writer mean 1st Corinthians or 2nd Corinthians? And the verse she quotes, that is not what 1st Corinthians 14: 34, 35 says. She also makes other false statements about concerning Christianity and the Bible. Please folks, look it up for yourself.

    ReplyDelete