Monday, February 26, 2018

We Survived the Flu!

It has been awhile...I started the year with cellulitis in my jaw from an infected tooth, had to wait for 5 days of antibiotics before they could pull it.  I looked like I was hiding a Cadbury Egg in my cheek!



After the tooth fiasco I thought things would get back to normal so I started to play with my Christmas gift from hubby....a rock tumbler.  Strange as it my sound it is something I have wanted since I was a kid and just never did it! I am so excited about this and am currently in the middle of processing my first load of rocks.This takes several weeks.





  I also started in on my denim quilt.  180 circles divided into piles of 9 with squares drawn inside the circle.

The denim is my old jeans some as old as 20 years...it's not hoarding if it's fabric.  (I may have said that about books as well)  The fabrics are from Grandmas stash.  I love thinking of her while I sew it.




The circles are sewn together and then the fabric squares put in the center.  The tutorial is here and has a picture of it finished.

Things seemed to be going well now....






Middle of January Hubby has fever and chills and the flu.  4 days later I had the flu - hey sharing is caring right?!  We had the flu together for 2 weeks and he got better first.  We had separate bottles of 7-up and NyQuil and we did chicken soup and toast.  He lost weight, I did not...sigh.

Arepa con Camerones


We are recovered and have been able to do a few things in the last week or so.  (the residual fatigue is just awful - several of our friends have said the same)  We tried out the new Colombian restaurant near our house.  We were very impressed.

Plantains








My sister in law is from Colombia so I was barely familiar with some of the items.  Fun to
try a new place near us.









Yesterday we went to the Pinewood Derby at church where the kids (and dads) build these 5 ounce race cars and race them on an aluminum track.  They spend a lot of time on the design and they have a lot of fun!



My favorite design was the chocolate doughnut above!


The track...


The finish line...


They go pretty fast!












And of course I have been watching the winter Olympics, but since I have to have something to do while I watch TV I have been working on a Puzzle, part of my Christmas gift from Mom that included a new card table that stands up without putting boxes of books against the legs.  (it is ok to laugh)





So we have survived the flu, are waiting for the snow to go away, and are now caught up.  I will have to find something else to watch til I finish my puzzle.

Hope your 2018 has started better!!

2 comments:

  1. Kathy I can't wait to see the finished quilt. I got the flu too last year and I never get it. I got such a shock but it was a bad flu last winter here in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I am a new follower to your blog and boy did I walk in on a post with so many similar interest. Food, fun and sickness. Glad your feeling better and look forward to reading further.

    ReplyDelete